Our campaign partner Mankind Initiative are holding this year’s National Conference on male victims of domestic abuse, on November 16th in Walsall, Birmingham. Find out more from them:
‘Surviving Domestic Abuse: Experiences, Services and Solutions’ | 16 November 2016 (Walsall Football Club, Birmingham)
One in every six men in Britain will suffer from domestic abuse in their lifetime and one in every three domestic abuse victims are male. There is a growing need to ensure men and their children receive support in their community from local organisations in the statutory, private and third sector. The Public Sector Equality Duty also requires all statutory organisations to ensure there are appropriate support mechanisms available to male victims and their children.
Delegates at the Conference will hear from a range of survivors, professionals and academics working across the domestic abuse sector. They will deliver thought provoking presentations whilst highlighting how you can help to ensure male victims and their children in your local community can be supported, as well as explaining the experiences and barriers these victims face.
- Dr Elizabeth A. Bates (University of Cumbria)
- Lori Busch IDVA (The ManKind Initiative)
- Dr Ben Hine (University of West London)
- Marc Linton (Home Group/Stonham Housing)
- Donna Shepherd (Montgomery Family Crisis Centre)
- Dr Abigail Thornton (University of Central Lancashire)
- Two male survivors of domestic abuse
- Pattern changing for male victims
- Running a refuge/safe house for male victims
- Running a drop in and helpline
- Female perpetrators of domestic abuse
- The lived experiences of male victims and their children
- Societal attitudes towards male victims
This is the fourth national conference that the ManKind Initiative has held with 120 people attending in Doncaster last year.
Who should attend?
Those working in community safety, public health, social services, domestic abuse, the legal system (police, solicitors, CPS, probation), adult and children safeguarding, health, housing associations, health service, victim support, anti-social behaviour, men’s health and welfare, equality & diversity, voluntary/third sector, academics and researchers.
Walsall Football Club, Banks’s Stadium, Bescot Crescent, Walsall, Birmingham, WS1 4SA (9.30am to 4.30pm) www.wfcthevenue.co.uk/
The venue is very well served by rail and road. The venue is in close proximity to Junction 9 of the M6 and has plenty of free on-site parking. It is next to Bescot railway station which has connections from Birmingham New Street.
Costs (including lunch and tea/coffee):
- £30 student delegate rate (£75 for three student delegates)
- £60 per delegate for (non-housing association) voluntary/third sector/private individuals (£140 for three delegates).
- £90 per delegate for statutory agencies, housing associations and private sector (£225 for three delegates).
For further information, please contact email@example.com or call 01823 334229
Conference sponsorship opportunities:
Please contact, Mark Brooks (Chair) via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact email@example.com or call 01823 334229