Yesterday (9th August 2018) the Government announced they will continue to fund supported housing through housing benefit, meaning refuges that would have otherwise closed will be able to remain open. Refuges, as well as other support services, are essential for those fleeing or affected by domestic abuse, and can save a person’s life.
As the UK SAYS NO MORE campaign, we’re committed to raising awareness of domestic abuse and its impact throughout the UK. But our campaigning wouldn’t be possible without the work of charities working tirelessly to offer practical, face-to-face support to ensure those affected by abuse are safe, secure and able to recover.
We’re very proud to announce Women Acting in Today’s Society, a support service for those affected by domestic abuse, as the latest partner of the UK SAYS NO MORE campaign.
In their own words…
Women Acting in Todays Society (W.A.I.T.S) is proud to be a partner of the UK SAYS NO MORE campaign.
Established in 1993 W.A.I.T. S’s provides holistic support to women and their families to overcome the practical and emotional issues caused by Domestic Abuse and Violence.
- Domestic Abuse Service – providing advocacy, support, counselling and Befriending to women who have experienced/are currently experiencing Domestic Abuse
- Personal development – Empowering women through workshops, training and Coaching. That aims to increase skills and build confidence
- Women’s Refuge – supporting women who are fleeing from, or who are facing homelessness due to, domestic violence.
W.A.I.T.S have expertise in supporting Women from diverse communities and ethnicities providing advocacy services and referral to specialist organisations.
We help women to have a Voice through their participation in local and national and international consualtions. Influence policy and services by facilitating meetings with policy makers and service providers.
- Empowering – Through our work we strive to enable women to think of their future and take back full control of their own lives
- Supporting – We provide emotional, practical and peer support for women who face challenges and barriers within their lives
- Progressing – We believe that women need their own time and space to build a secure and sustainable future for themselves
- Holistic – We help in every aspect of life, as well as providing a link to trusted agencies who can provide further support
Today more than ever there is a need to raise awareness and to campaign to end Abuse and Violence particularly as 1 in 4 women will experience Domestic Abuse in her lifetime. 25 years ago when W.A.I.T.S was established, we did not expect to be in existence today, that’s why Women Acting In Todays Society (W.A.I.T.S) is a partner of the UK SAYS NO MORE campaign. – Marcia Lewinson, CEO
Interested in becoming a partner?
Are you or your organisation interested in becoming a partner of the UK SAYS NO MORE campaign? We want to hear from you! Email Partnerships Manager Sarah Winterflood at Sarah.Winterflood@hestia.org for more information.